Sunday, February 12, 2012

Neptune Day

Neptune Day-Wednesday Feb 8th-The Day We Crossed the Equator!

Today was “protocol day” and while we were not sure what that meant, we knew we didn’t have classes today. Everett and I have been waking up at 6:30 am for an Insanity fitness class since the Feb 6th. At 7:45am, there was an announcement from Neptune telling us that we had to report to the 7th deck aft in bathing suits. I was already awake because of the exercise class. They had current music on the sound system and 4 large trash buckets with their tops on.

A drum line of all the cabin stewards travelled through the hall and eventually made it up to the 7th deck with our dean (without a shirt) covered in green (Neptune) following in the rear. They talked to us and had us say an oath ( I wasn’t able to really hear it to know what was said). But to pass the ritual, we had to have slime poured over our head, jump into the pool, kiss a fish, kiss King Neptune’s ring and we were then knighted.




People had the option of shaving their heads. I am really bad at guessing but a little less than half of their guys are either bald or have Mohawks. I believe six or seven girls shaved their heads; none of them had really long hair. I thought about it for a moment because the excitement of everything but my friend Chelsea and I vowed to each other we would resist the temptation.




The way the heads were shaved was the people sat down in a row- there were 4 chairs- and people that worked on the ship (not hairdressers) shaved people’s heads. A lot of the jobs were very uneven-the guys can fix on their own. They did a better job on the girl’s heads. The salon offered to fix the uneven haircuts for $5. It is hard to recognize people that we have just met and it is also the norm to see a lot of guys sitting around that are bald. When the people stood up from their haircuts all their hair was on their back, it was so disgusting. There was so much hair on the deck… I think 40 lbs all together. I left around 9, I think it went on till much longer and people hug out in the pool, but it was too crowded.

No comments:

Post a Comment