Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Feb 28-29 - Final Days in Cape Town

Feb 28-The fifth day was a bit calmer than the other days. Everett and I went with another couple we have befriended (who just started going out on this trip) to breakfast and spent the day mostly walking around. We all had omelets at a restaurant in the waterfront area, and then sat on a bridge overlooking the water.

We caught a cab into town and found a restaurant to dine for lunch. We really enjoyed our lunch. We each had a glass of wine and the restaurant had beautiful black and white décor. The waitress was super friendly and joked around with us at lot. I even ordered a salad after my dinner because I had tried Chelsea’s and it was really good. This was the first time since home that I had gotten a nice slow relaxing sit down meal like that.

As a group, we intended to hike up Table Mountain to see the sunset. But while we were dining, it had started to rain and was really cloudy. On our way back we saw a bunch of people playing water polo on kayaks. They paddle back and forth and have to push the ball while doing it and then they have to pick it up and pass it or try to score. They block using their paddles and sometimes they would roll in the kayaks if they fell over. I thought I should include this for the Coraor family; it is not as intense as whitewater solemn but it was really interesting to watch.

The final day, February 29th, I spent the day getting internet service and shopping in the waterfront area. I made little effort to venture out anywhere or do anything because I had spent a good deal of money on my other adventures during the week and I was pretty beat. I also felt that I was tired of being in Cape Town. Being so westernized and modern, I did not get the feeling that it was foreign as much as the other countries and that took some of the thrill away. Many of the other students fell in love with Cape Town. I absolutely loved the nature and scenery but wasn’t thrilled about the social struggles at stake. It bothered me a lot to be privileged enough to take advantage of those amenities when thousands of people living in the townships have never gotten to enjoy their homeland in the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment